Monday, June 18, 2007

A Version: A Closer Look at Yeates

W.B. Yeates was a very intriuging character to me. The ways he thought of and came about writing his poetry and other various writings is so unique. I really like that quality in authors. For me to soley focus on The Second Coming was hard because the more I looked into him and his writings the more interesting things I found. Many of his writings caught my eye and took my imagination. I used his background and the information about him that I knew and used it to interpret some of his other works. For example, the poem; The Cap and Bells really caught my eye. It can be found at the following website along with many other of Yeates' amazing works. http://http//www.poetry-archive.com/y/the_cap_and_bells.html.



My interpretation of this poem according to the author was that the Queen and her jester were having a love affair, probably very secretly, and the jester died. He comes back for his Queen as a spirit for her. He stays on her window sill and at first she is very reluctant to follow him and shuts him out of her room but as the poem goes on she changes her mind and opens the window and they both sail off together.



This to me seems like a classic Yeates poem because he talks about a spirit coming back to take this Queen away with him. Yeates was well-known for being a little crazy because he believed his literary ideas were messages that he recieved from the spirit world. If you look at the list of poems on the website I gave you many of the titles have a lot to do with spirits, love and deep emotional pains, also there is some that talk about the ways of the world and the ending of it. Yeates was an amazing character, he was a very talented and mysterious person just like my favorite author Edgar Allen Poe. Yeates was not as psychologically crazy as Poe but they were both very unique and eccentric characters of the literature world.

No comments: